Vidin Wine Tour 2 Days
Winemaking has over a thousand-year-long tradition in Bulgaria. Ancient Thracians, who populated our land many years ago, worshipped the gods Zagreus and Dionysius and used wine during their religious rituals. Today Bulgaria is a proud producer of fine quality wines, some of which are made from unique sorts of vine, impressing wine connoisseurs worldwide.
Taste unique local grape varieties in the Vidin region
To taste wine from an uphill vineyard is a miracle say people in Vidin region, Northwestern Bulgaria. According to locals, the local terroir is what makes the best wine – having a dense aroma and a pinch of mystery.
The first Wine school in Bulgaria was opened in 1887 in the small town of Vidin on the Danube River. In addition to it, there used to be a wine cellar announced as the first winery to set an example in Bulgaria. The school was situated close to Baba Vida historical fortress and the Danube River. It is a two-floor building with a cellar, built close to the Turkish post office. Qualified staff was needed and specialized schools were opened throughout the country.
Today there are 7 wineries in the Vidin region, mostly small, boutique ones, focusing on quality, not quantity, and winning awards in international competitions.
‘Making unique wines is more of a philosophy and way of life than business’, said Ognyan Tsvetanov, belated owner of Borovitza winery. Today, some local boutique wines are exported abroad to customers in Asia and other continents.
Let’s explore our home area’s wine routes along the Danube River. For a deep wine experience, there is an option for an overnight in the winery estate, located on the Danube.
Private tour for 3 – 1 travelers and more on request
Price range: EUR 220 – 390 per person
The price includes:
- Licensed English or German-speaking tour guide and wine lover
- Pick up and drop off from/at your accommodation in Sofia. Transportation by car.
- Visit to two boutique Wineries in Northwestern Bulgaria
- 2 Wine Tastings of 3-5 Bulgarian wines at local boutique wineries in Vidin area
- Sightseeing at the Town Park of Vidin along the Danube River
- Photos with happy moments to remember
- Mineral water
The price excludes:
- Entrance fee to Baba Vida fortress (BGN 7 per person)
- Lunch at a local restaurant in Vidin (BGN 20 – 30 per person)
- Overnight in Vidin region (We could book it for you. Please let us know in your request.)
- Adventure activities
- Personal costs
- Wine bottles, which you can buy at the winery shop
Duration: 2 days
If you prefer to stay longer, please send us a request for a longer trip.
This tour can be booked also as Self-guide and drive tour.
Starting point: Sofia
Wine map: Sofia – Vidin: 200 km one way
Good to know: Events, which happen once a year
- Trifon Zarezan celebration оf the vine growers and wine producers in Bulgaria – 14 February
- Grape harvest season: End of August – October
- VIII summer festival “Opera of the peaks” – Belogradchik rocks
- 26 October – Day of St Dimitar and Day of Vidin, International Mavrud Day
Kind reminder: Vidin Wine Tours are not available during Orthodox Easter (15 – 17 April 2023) and Christmas Holidays (24 – 26 December 2023). We are there for you all year long but these dates are dedicated to our family. Cheers!