Vidin Wine Tour 1 day
Enjoy a peaceful walk along the Danube river in the town of Vidin and visit the Baba Vida fortress. Learn the story behind a boutique winery and taste the local traditional red wine – Gamza in Northwestern Bulgaria.
Taste Vidin’s wine and cuisine
Today we will visit our hometown, where we used to live until 18 years old, where we tasted for first-time wine and learned German and English. Let’s slow down to enjoy and appreciate what Vidin has to offer. One of the highlights is a visit to a boutique winery, where you will taste Bulgarian wines and learn more about the wine-making process in Northwestern Bulgaria.
The history of Bononia Estate is like a journey through the centuries starting as early as the times of the Roman Empire. The boutique winery was named after an ancient Roman fortress, located in the valley of the Danube River, Bononia (today the town of Vidin). Over the centuries, Bononia guarded proudly the northwestern border of one of the oldest states in Europe. Bulgaria is known as one of the first places on the entire continent to start growing grapes for winemaking dating to Thracian times 3-4 century BC.
The first Wine school in Bulgaria was opened in 1887 in Vidin. In addition to it, there used to be a wine cellar announced as the first winery to set an example in Bulgaria. The school was situated close to Baba Vida historical fortress and the Danube River.
Gamza is a dark thin-skinned grape variety used for a red wine, that grows in Northwestern Bulgaria since ancient times. It can be found under the name Kadarka in Romania, Hungary, and other countries. Gamza ripens at the end of September and the beginning of October. However, in Northwestern Bulgaria this happens earlier around September because the accumulation of sugar is more intense. Gamza is cultivated best on windy hills with rich soil. Today Gamza wines receive awards in international wine competitions and boost the image of Bulgaria as a wine country.
Private tour for 2 travelers and more on request
Price: EUR 190 per person when 2 travelers book the tour
Book your tour now
The price includes:
- Licensed English or German-speaking tour guide and wine lover
- Pick up and drop off from/at your accommodation in Sofia. Transportation by car.
- Winery visit in Northwestern Bulgaria
- Wine Tasting of 3-5 Bulgarian wines at a local boutique winery nearby Vidin
- Sightseeing at the Town Park of Vidin along the Danube River
- Photos with happy moments to remember
- Mineral water
The price excludes:
- Entrance fee to Baba Vida fortress (BGN 7 per person)
- Lunch at a local restaurant in Vidin (BGN 20 – 30 per person)
- Visit to a second winery in the area of Vidin
- Overnight in Sofia (We could book it for you. Please let us know in your request.)
- Personal costs
- Wine bottles, which you can buy at the winery shop
Duration: 1 day
If you prefer to stay longer, please check out our VIDIN WINE TOUR 2 DAYS.
This tour can be booked also as Self-guide and drive tour.
Starting point: Sofia
Wine map: Sofia – Vidin: 200 km one way
Good to know: Events, which happen once a year
- Trifon Zarezan celebration оf the vine growers and wine producers in Bulgaria – 14 February
- Summer music festivals in Vidin – July
- Vintage Vehicles Vidin – in the beginning of August
- Бъдинъ Budin Medieval festival in Baba Vida fortress – End of August
- Grape harvest season: End of August – October
- 26 October – Day of St Dimitar and Day of Vidin, International Mavrud Day
Kind reminder: Vidin Wine Tours are not available during Orthodox Easter (15 – 17 April 2023) and Christmas Holidays (24 – 26 December 2023). We are there for you all year long but these dates are dedicated to our family. Cheers!